The Parents of Students of Color (POSOC) mission is to provide a place of reflection, dialogue, and support for parents of students of color. The group seeks to promote an atmosphere of academic achievement, mutual respect, acceptance, and empowerment while building a greater sense of community for our students of color within the full spectrum of the live and activities at USM. Per the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), "students of color" includes children from Black/African American, Asian American, Middle-Eastern American, American Indian/Native American, Latino/Hispanic, Pacific Islander, and multiracial backgrounds.
Parents of Students of Color Leaders
Natasha Borges Sugiyama and Colleston Morgan '03
- Foster community connections and support parents of students of color
- Raise awareness among POSOC parents and the wider USM community on JEDI issues
- Support the success of students of color
POSOC meetings are open to all USM parents who identify as a parent of a student of color. Meetings typically take place on the second Tuesday of each month. The meeting dates for the 2020–21 school year are as follows:
- Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Mar. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Apr. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 11 at 7:30 p.m.